Maintain and protect facilities. It is important for a custodian, or janitor, to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning, tidying the premises, as well as preventing vandalism.
- Washing and sanitizing bathrooms, toilets, sinks and restocking disposables.
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, cleaning entrances.
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks, etc)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture, mirrors and windows; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.
- Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing debris from sidewalks and areas within sixteen feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.
- Wash accessible interior and exterior windows. Clean blinds.
- Attend to emergencies when necessary. Attend safety meetings and other related meetings.
- Take classes as required in cleaning methods and techniques, new products, First Aid, CPR, and working relationships.
- Assist with inventory control and security. Order supplies as needed.
- Safely operate all vehicles and other job related equipment.
- Support and enforce all policies, OSHA/WISHA rules, health and safety regulations and guidelines, etc.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High school diploma is preferred but not required.
- CPR/1stAide Certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances.
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components.
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices.
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25-50 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Limited exposure to physical risk.