Tour guides need strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate information clearly. The job also requires an excellent customer service and leadership skills to meet tourists’ expectations and make tours run smoothly. A love of learning is an asset because tour guides must stay current with new information about their area of expertise. Tour guides plans lead visitors through along the designated pathway at Lower Antelope Canyon while providing useful and interesting information. Guides must solve everyday problems, such as occasional delayed tour, and take charge in emergencies. The duties of tour guides span the roles of educator, host and escort.
DELUXE GUIDE– Ambassadors of the brand. These guides are assigned to the tours that require an elevated customer experience. Expertise in all areas: strong and captive storytelling/communication, customer service, canyon knowledge and history, building relationship with the guest, making a lasting impression. These Ambassadors are the elite tour guides, exemplary employees, adhering to company policies and procedures, setting a example for the general tour guide and other staff. Contributes to a teamwork atmosphere and promotes an exclusive environment. Supports upper management with ease and remains flexible to changes.
- Greet all guests promptly at scheduled tour times
- Outline the tour and timeline before beginning
- Discuss rules and safety notices prior to leaving on tour
- Determine if any guests have physical restrictions that should be considered
- Clearly and articulately provide information to guests in an engaging manner
- Answer any questions that the guests have
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of our facility and related topics
- Remain calm, friendly, and enthusiastic at all times
- Deescalate any tension with difficult guests
- Escort guests through the tour
- Keep the tour moving on schedule while still being considerate to guests
- Know all safety and security protocols, should they be needed
Minimum Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED; at least 2 years of experience directly related to customer service preferred.
- Experience with public speaking is a plus.
- CPR/1stAide Certification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to memorize and recite facts clearly and accurately
- Fluent in English; bilingual a plus
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic, engaging, and informative way of speaking
- Ability to remain calm and collected when dealing with difficult guests
- Passion for learning and willingness to continue to acquire relevant knowledge
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (6) hours per day.